Fernando Alonso says any vacant seat at a Formula 1 team for 2023 is an option for him, but insists staying at Alpine is his “priority”.

Alonso is out of contract at the end of this season but has made it clear he plans to remain in F1 having returned to the series in 2021.

It is widely expected the two-time world champion will re-sign with Alpine ahead of the talks over the summer break, but Alonso is remaining open-minded about his future.

Sebastian Vettel’s announcement on Thursday that he will retire after the 2022 season has freed up a seat at Aston Martin, with Alonso believed to be among the candidates the Silverstone-based outfit is considering to partner Lance Stroll.

While Alonso asserted it is “his wish” to renew his Alpine deal, he isn’t ruling out a move elsewhere on the F1 grid.

“From the beginning of the summer break, it will be the point I need to sit down and conclude something,” Alonso said, as quoted by Motorsport Week. “The summer break starts on Monday.

“All the teams are an option as long as they don’t have two drivers signed. My priority is to be with Alpine.

“We’ve been working and developing this project together for two years now. We are more and more competitive.

“Probably my wish is to stay. But we didn’t sit down completely and move forward with things. So still everything is ongoing.”

Alonso, who sits 10th in the drivers’ championships, believes he has performed at 100% this year, with a front row start in Canada among the signs he is still operating at a high level.

Despite racing in other motorsport categories, Alonso is clear he is focused on staying in F1, sighting the appeal of the current regulations and new races joining the calendar.

“I think I am fresh here [in F1], very motivated,” Alonso said. “I’m looking forward so much into next year, what the second year of these rules will bring.

“We race in Las Vegas, we race maybe in South Africa. All these things, they are very appealing.

“I feel very fast this year, last year was a struggle a little bit. But this year I feel at my 100 per cent.

“Now even thinking about sportscars or IndyCar it’s like ‘not now’. My head is completely ‘remove this’ and stay focused on F1.”