Formula 1 has confirmed the Portuguese Grand Prix will host the third round of the 2021 season on May 2.

Portugal returned to the F1 calendar last year, as part of the revised 2020 schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic, after a 24-year absence.

The Portimao circuit in Algarve staged its first-ever grand prix last October, and received praise from both drivers and fans.

While Portugal didn’t feature on F1’s initial 23-race calendar, plans to bring the race back gained momentum after Vietnam and China dropped off the schedule, and Australia was postponed until November.

As a result, the slot remained TBC, but F1 announced on Friday morning that the third round of the season would take place in Portugal.

“We are thrilled to announce that Formula 1 will be racing again in Portimao after the huge success of the race last year,” said F1 CEO and president Stefano Domenicali.

“We want to thank the promoter and the Portuguese Government for their hard work and dedication in getting us to this point.

“We are confident and excited about our 2021 season, having shown last year that we could deliver 17 races safely and bring our millions of fans thrilling racing at a difficult time.

“We hope to welcome fans to Portimao again this season in a safe way and are working with the promoter on the details of that plan.”

Last year’s event saw 27,000 fans attend, and a decision over whether spectators will be allowed to this year’s race will be taken in the coming weeks.

“Holding major events in our country is very important for the image and international promotion of Portugal as a tourist destination, and so it is with great interest that we see the return of Formula 1 to the Algarve in 2021,” said Portugal’s Secretary of State of Tourism Rita Marques.

“I want to thank the FIA and F1 for its confidence in Portugal, the Algarve and the Algarve International Racetrack by choosing our country to host a stage of the F1 calendar, and to express our full commitment to make it a big success.”