The Brazilian Grand Prix is set to remain in Sao Paulo until at least 2025 after local officials announced it has agreed a new deal with Formula 1.
Interlagos’ future had been under threat ever since Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro revealed intentions to move the race to Rio from 2021.
The project was due to be built on the outskirts of the city, but the intended location of the track has been met with environmental opposition.
F1 revealed next year’s provisional calendar earlier this week, with Brazil’s race declared to be taking place at Interlagos in November.
Speaking to media in a press conference on Thursday, Sao Paulo governor Joao Doria said the event will be staying in Sao Paulo for five more years.
“I am proud to reveal that F1 has just renewed a contract to hold the Brazilian GP until 2025,” he said, as quoted by Motorsport.com.
“The Interlagos race track has been confirmed as the venue for the next five years. The contract will be signed by Mayor Bruno Covas and Liberty Media, the rights holder of F1.”
It is understood the decision to keep the grand prix at Interlagos was down to it having a purpose-built circuit ready, as well as a position to commit to long-term deal.
Sao Paulo mayor Bruno Covas revealed the event would be known as the Sao Paulo Grand Prix as of next year, a move prompted by the growing involvement of local authorities.
The new contract is understood to have an option for a five-year extension, although F1 is yet to confirm the deal.
“The contract is being finalized and will be signed in the next few days. Next year, on November 14, we will have the Sao Paulo GP,” Covas said.
“The contract is valid for five years and can be extended for an additional five years, so can go up to 2030.”