Sergio Perez will make his long-awaited return for Racing Point this weekend at the Spanish Grand Prix after testing negative for COVID-19.

Perez was forced to sit out of the British Grand Prix two weeks ago when he delivered a positive COVID-19 test, requiring him to enter the mandatory seven-day quarantine period.

Although he completed the self-isolation phase, Perez’s retest also came back as positive which meant he would also miss the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone.

This resulted in Racing Point hiring its former driver Nico Hulkenberg as a temporary stand-in for the Silverstone double-header while Perez recovered.

The Silverstone-based outfit was “99% sure” the Mexican would be back in the cockpit for Spain, and on Thursday morning it was confirmed Perez had now tested negative, reclaiming his seat to drive at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Announcing the news on its social media channels, Racing Point said: “We’re pleased to share the news that @SChecoPerez has tested negative for COVID-19. The @fia have confirmed that Checo can return to the @F1 paddock and he will compete for the team in this weekend’s #SpanishGP.”

Perez revealed he’d only shown mild symptoms of the virus, and before the results had been made public said he was ready to race once given the all clear.

“I’ve definitely missed racing and it was hard to watch from the outside. I can’t wait to get on track, hopefully this weekend,” Perez said.

“I’m very lucky that I’ve only had mild symptoms, so I’ve been able to keep training and make sure that I’m ready to jump back behind the wheel of the car. I’m very glad I had my tablet to keep me entertained too, though!”