Joel Eriksson controlled the final race of the weekend to retake the lead of the European Formula 3 championship.

The Motopark driver got a good start from pole and was unchallenged throughout the rest of the race.

Callum Ilott, also starting from the front row of the grid, was looking to repeat his race two victory, but ran wide on the opening lap and almost lost second position to the battling Lando Norris and Guanyu Zhou. He was able to correct his mistake before either driver could pass him, and set about catching up to Eriksson.

A handful of fast laps towards the end of the race made an attack for the lead look possible, but Ilott could never get close enough to the race leader. He finished nearly two seconds behind Eriksson.

Norris enjoyed a much better start than that of race two, but couldn’t keep Zhou behind him. He spent the rest of the race sticking to the back of the Prema Powerteam car, trying to find an opportunity to pass. On the penultimate lap, Norris launched an attack, coming side by side with Zhou. The Brit was almost ahead as they turned into the corner, but Zhou ran up the escape road to avoid contact. He kept the position, but race officials noted the incident.

Norris continued to attack on the final lap but had to finish the race fourth.

One thing Norris didn’t have to worry about was David Beckmann behind him. The Motopark driver was leading a train of drivers, with race one winner Maximilian Gunther right on his tail. Gunther spent the entire race following Beckmann, but pass him and finished the race sixth. He’ll leave Hungary second in the championship, five points behind Eriksson.

Further back in the field, Marino Sato, Pedro Piquet, and Harrison Newey were battling for 14th. Piquet found a way past Sato, but the Motopark driver tried to take the position back. He soon had to turn to defence, with Newey right behind him and looking for a way past.

A mistake from Newey dropped him out of the fight and to the back of the grid, but Sato still didn’t find a way past Piquet. He fell away from the Van Amersfoort driver, finishing five seconds behind.Jake Hughes crossed the line seventh, ahead of Joey

Jake Hughes crossed the line seventh, ahead of Joey Maweson. Maweson spent the race as he spent race two: defending against Jehan Daruvala. The pair crossed the line eighth and ninth, with Nikita Mazepin rounding off the top 10.